Elevating Leadership for Emerging Leaders
The Emerging Leaders Program provides the opportunity to College members in their 3rd or 4th year of GI fellowship training to start, grow, and maintain success as future leaders. Participants will learn about communication, negotiation, change and time management, and promoting equity, diversity, and inclusion. Participants are immersed in course work covering the skills needed as they look ahead to their career post-fellowship and begin to take on more leadership roles. The program includes a mix of lectures, Q&A, breakout and role-playing exercises, and networking. Applications for the 2023 Emerging Leaders Program will open from July 28 to September 1, 2023.
Neena S. Abraham, MD, MSc (Epid), MACG and Andrew Moon, MD, MPH
Associate Course Directors:
Divya Bhatt, MD, Olufemi Kassim, MD, and Josh Steinberg, MD
- Pre-Course reading and videos
- Attend Emerging Leaders Program – December 2, 2023 (Nashville, TN)
- Online Learning Sessions
Course topics (December 2, 2023, in Nashville, TN):
- Communication as a Physician and Gastroenterologist
- Negotiating Your First Job Contract & Compensation Model
- Time Management
- Change Management
- Start NOW: Building a Professional Community & Network
- Building Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion on Your Team
To facilitate a positive, interactive learning environment and networking, the course would be limited to 20 participants. Attendees would have to be nominated by either their Program Director, Chief of GI, ACG Governor, Board of Trustee Member, or ACG Committee Chair. Applicants will submit an application, which will include a personal statement of interest in physician leadership. Applications would be accepted from the following ACG members:
- College Members in their 3rd or 4th year of fellowship training
- A demonstrated trajectory of leadership roles in their training.
- Based in the United States
Applicants will need to submit their curriculum vitae, personal statement of interest in participating in the program and a letter of nomination from their Program Director, Chief of GI, ACG Board of Trustee Member, or ACG Committee Chair. The 2023-2024 Emerging Leaders Program application will be open from July 28 to September 1, 2023.
Applications will be reviewed by the ACG Institute and will be notified regarding their inclusion in the program (there are no registration fees for the program – it is by invitation only).
Eligibility & Evaluation Criteria:
To choose the recipients, the Institute will assess the degree to which the applicant meets the eligibility criteria of the ACG Emerging Leaders Program. Applicants who are ACG members, based in the United States, and in their 3rd or 4th year of fellowship will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Strong statements of background experience and skills development that demonstrate a strong interest in the Emerging Leaders Program
- A strong letter of nomination from their Program Director, Chief of GI at your institution, ACG Board of Trustee Member, or 3) ACG Committee Chair, who has direct knowledge of the applicant’s qualifications and leadership potential.
The ACG Institute seeks a diverse applicant pool from which to select a diverse cohort of participants with respect to several factors that include practice type, race and ethnicity, gender identity, and geographic location.